Saturday, December 24, 2005

Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies

Several months ago, EJ asked if I would be her date to a small birthday party the Friday before Christmas. Clearly, that far in advance I had not made other plans, and any reason to party with EJ is a good one. (President of the EJ fan club here.)

As it turns out, it's a big black-tie wedding reception at the BMCC for Lauren Hagen who got married in Spain. That was a detail that would have been good to have before I was picked up for the party.  I don't generally travel with a tuxedo. But I faked it acceptably.  Everyone just sort of blames "California" when I dress strangely now.


I will say, I do love my new brown velvet blazer. Very versatile (like me, ahem). It made a nice west coast fashion ensemble with the tux shirt (I keep a few in every port). Who knew I would get a chance to dance with Pat Patrick. Ever since Mac had encouraged Paige to sing with the PPB on other occasions, she has started singing with them professionally. Paige (who was in my class in high school and married Mac's best friend Bill) gave up her singer/songwriter career for family and motherhood now is back shining behind a microphone. Set of pipes on her. I am always grateful for an opportunity to hear her sing. She sang "Oh Holy Night" at a friend's Christmas wedding so many years ago and the memory still gives me a chill.


Wilson Hardcastle and Elizabeth James

Of course, I didn't know she was a formal part of the entertainment as she and Bill were also invited guests. She was a bit embarrassed that people would think she just wanted to sing and wouldn't get off the stage.

We had a fabulous time drinking and dancing at the club and I got to visit with a lot of old friends I would not have had the chance to see.


Mac Hardcastle and EJ

EJ, ever the trooper, joined me and Keith afterwards for drinks and dancing at Tribe and then Play. MUCH fun. I remember I had tales to tell about that night, but I only remember that I remember I had tales, not the tales themselves. Alas.

But still, love that EJ.

No comments: