Monday, March 13, 2006

Big News Day

I had a wonderful time with Chuck and his friends, and had a faboo dinner party Saturday night. It was a completely wonderful evening, but marred by the prissy old queen neighbor who complained about the coming and goings of the smokers and said he would call the police. But it has been a big news day and he is the least of my concerns.

Good news and bad. And the bad is really, really bad.

Good news:
The Vanderbilt Medical Alumni Association announced that my mother will be honored with the VMAA Distinguished Service Award. From the announcement: Fran Hardcastle, immediate past president of the Canby Robinson Society (CRS) and newly welcomed to our VMAA Board, will be the very deserving recipient of the 2006 VMAA Distinguished Service Award in recognition of her service to and leadership for Children's Hospital, CRS, and multiple other VUMC efforts."

Very cool Mom! I've always been impressed, and proud. It is nice to see her get her props!

Other good news:

Deb had her baby! This deserves its own post and will get its proper attention soon. The details: baby Roman Nicholas was born this morning after three freakin' days of labor. Roman (who shall be known among the tribe as Zack) weighs in at 9 pounds, 2 ounces. No formal length yet, but apparently Deb gave birth to a toddler.

Bad news:
The adored Doug Parsons passed away this weekend. Doug, my uncle once (twice?) removed, was always such a warm, welcoming, and charming patriarch in the clan and his kindness will be sorely missed. In trying to descibe him to my friends, I keep returning to the image of Clark Gable: tall, handsome, charming, quick with a cocktail and a kind word, effortlessly smooth, entirely genuine, without pretense or offence, and he could hold a room with his eyes. For me, he was often the main feature of family functions. And through whom I would get to know my good friend Clark. [more on Clark Parsons and my visit to him in Berlin here.]

Terrible news:
I can't really type this without losing it again. Dear friends Paul and Missy Wallace have learned that their sweet and wise eight-year-old Charlotte has a degenerateive neurological disorder.

I received this e-mail today:
As some of you already know, our family received some devastating news on 3/10. Our oldest daughter Charlotte (8) is suffering from a "Demyelinating Disease", which destroys the protective layer of proteins surrounding the central nervous system in her brain. The symptoms thus far have included weight loss and rapid deterioration of her motor skills and cognitive abilities. Multiple doctors are working furiously to try to identify the disease causing the demyelination in hopes of delaying its progress. Unfortunately, the prognosis is not encouraging.

There is a strong chance that the disease is genetic, meaning that William (6) and Mae Mae (4) could also be vulnerable.
I can't IMAGINE how they are dealing with this. I am not her parent, or even a parent, and I am a wreck.

They have a website now to share stories and information, which really cuts to my heart. However, I am deeply appreciative of the company which provides this blog service for the families of the tragically ill: CaringBridge.org.

No comments: