My trip home was both fleeting and fabulous.
It started with a long wait at the Oakland airport, made more pleasant by the "don't I know you?" encounter with one of EJ's co-conspirators, Carol Scott, and her buddies who had been in town for the UT game.

A co-worker had noticed a sea of UT orange in a BART station. She reported to me that she knew they must be southern because "They were all so friendly and touched each other when they said hello."
That's a Tennessean all right.
Friday night was so much fun, but I've already posted a recap of that one. Again, "Hey" to Michael.
I've been playing Pinmonkey all weekend. And all day today.
Saturday I spent almost all day just doing updates and tech support on Dad's iBook, followed by lots and lots of prep for the formal Baptism reception. In addition to the formal reception, we were prepping for many guests to stay for rest of the Titans game. I was, perhaps not surprisingly, put in charge of the bar. I needed to make an additional booze/beer run and took a break from prep chores to go with Mom to the stores.
Most Southern grocery stores are more social than the Singles Safeway. I saw John Wallace's mother at the store (I justed talked to John Wallace last week, and his sister is moving to SF this week), and dear old friend George Crawford with his son Jack.
It should be telling that when Nashvillians see me coming, they snatch their children off the street for fear of corruption:

Saturday night continued with party prep and time with the parents. I was also fortunate enough to get some quality time with my good friends Van Pond and David Glasgow (whom I collectively refer to as "VanGo").

Van has entered into a successful new venture with the talented Ridley Wills, whose wife Betsy is a friend of the blog.
C them O at their site. The site is under construction, and I imagine by Van's "other" partner David, who is master of the Nashville Grizzlies ("Wanna ruck?") site.
Side note: Favorite t-shirt from the Hairrison Street Fair: "If rugby were easy, it'd be called your mom."
Leaving an exhausted D&V to go to bed (without me) I joined Keith, his BF, and their friends Heather and Chad at Tribe. I was surprised how much less of a party place the bar is on a Saturday compared to a Friday—but there was also the mass exodus to Play, the dance club next door, to contend with. Heather cracked me up as the girl loves her vodka like a gay man.

These guys are all big MySpacers (photos of the night are already up on her page), which I have never gotten into, but I'm thinking I need to update my profile.

And Sunday, well that was all about the baby.
I will say, Mom does a great job when she pulls out all the stops. I thought her centerpiece was clever, using the sterling baby cups from two generations.

It was an exhilarating and exhausting weekend, bracketed by two long days of travel. But totally worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment