Friday, June 23, 2006

gay ol' time

We all know that the orginal primary meaning of "gay" was "happy." Fred and Wilma had a gay old time. Christmas revelers don their gay apparel before they fa la la.

Although being gay makes us (gays) happy (in the self-acceptance and enjoying each other sort of way), I don't imagine the period when "gay" started to mean "homosexual" was a particularly happy time for gays and lesbians.

But here we are. Here and queer. Gay is gay (but not gay like a ten-year-old would slur). And gay is happy. And yet to refer to a bunch of "happy gays" is not redundant.

And gays, at least my gays--the mo's and the ho's--drink. And are happy drinking. And are gay drinking.

Last night I suggested that just as "gay" meaning "happy" linguistically evolved into "gay" meaning "homo," we should start pushing the transition the other way too.

The period with drink specials at the bar is no longer happy hour. It's gay hour.

C'mon. Get happy.



(Speaking of which, how coded was this? Was the artist really saying "get gay!"? Rainbow birds of a feather flocking (ahem) together.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Creative blog!! I was just browsing through looking for creative writers and found this one in minutes. I never noticed the partridge family logo. Good catch! Hopefully you can come visit a blog a friend of mine and I have called www.citizenhunter.com. Its a progressive blog that is supposed to try and get citizens invloved and add some thoughts. I hope you can visit and comment.
Joe

Anonymous said...

But Keith was so macho!

http://www.chaoticworks.com/cassidy/dc8.jpg