And quality time we had.
I am far enough away as it is, and with the hustle and bustle of our lives, my family is rarely together, all of us, for any amount—width or depth—of time. Even though I am the only one who does not live in the same town.
Emily, Brother Mac's wife, has access to her family's lake house and tries to invited us all to get together down there for a week every summer. We have not all been there together since my first and only previous trip in 2002. I had just quit my job at the bank, and was about to enter grad school for the MLIS.
Seems like a life time ago. I had my first digital camera, and took some of my favorite photos that trip.
I also tried to drop a ski and ended up injuring myself severely, with months of physical therapy to follow. Between that lingering injury, and all the broken stuff in my foot, I did not ski this trip.
But then, none of us did. We were content to cruise the lake and chill in the summer heat on the pontoon boat (what my mother and her friends always referred to as the "float boat," I imagine as opposed to the companion "ski boat").
My first night there I snapped this image,
because it reminded me so much of these images I remembered from the 2002 visit.


Armed with my new Fuji Finepix, I managed to get some good shots this year too:










And now for the commentary. There were many stories, but it's late, I'm tired, I'm half watching the Olympics, and I've got more work to do before I go to bed.
First off, it was like Africa hot. But with twice the humidity. Our first day down there we dared ventured out only for a few moments before breathing was difficult. After the torrential southern thunderstorm, the afternoon was nice.
The mosquitoes weren't too bad. At least to me. Jay and Mom were eaten alive. In the birdbath on the front porch (why is there a birdbath on a lake?), Bradley and Ellen found mosquito larvae just waiting to grow up and bite us.
We did not give them the opportunity.
Secondly, the only other constant (than the heat) was the cuteness of nephew Leland. I don't know how Emily and Mac do it. That kid is in constant motion and demands constant attention. He is also exceptionally well-mannered, quiet, and fun to be around. But he is into everything.
In one of his "sing and sign" classes, he's learned some ASL, including the sign indicating that he needs changing. He make the "change me" sign, and when he's laid down he puts his legs in the air and cooperates until he's done. (Seriously, no comments.)
The sunsets were beautiful:
If not as neon as the last trip:
It was also the week before the Darryl Worley Tennessee River Run: a week-long series of concerts and other events (kicking off with a fish fry!) benefiting area medical centers. I've always loved the Tennessee River Run song and video, mostly because it's catchy, Darryl's hot, and it's about and filmed on Pickwick lake, where we were. Darryl is from these parts, and has certainly given back to the community--having funded a chemotherapy clinic (otherwise folks have to drive for hours to Memphis or Chattanooga), children's medical services, and other local needs.
We were more interested in a personal celebration: a happy 72nd birthday for Papa John!

Papa John and all his Children
Now for the cattier comments:
Wow with the UT (University of Tennessee) fandom. I couldn't even tell you where the nearest campus is. I only consider Knoxville the real UT, and we were nowhere close.
But there was UT orange everywhere.
Bradley noticed this UT orange boat next to a black and yellow/gold boat: possibly UT versus Vandy.
But we imagined the orange boat was definitely for UT, and the yellow and black was just a yellow and black boat.
Other items of note on display:
And it's not a water bottle:
It's O2Cool's "Personal Hydration System."
It's a water bottle with a straw.
Despite my weight loss last year, I've gained some of it back and on this lake was feeling very much like Fatty Fatty Two By Four. Some of the other guys on the lake made me feel thin by comparison.
But another percentage of guys on the lake all looked like this:
Ouch.
(He's plenty big, but you can click to embiggen.)
And Brother Jay was hilarious. Brother Mac would have cringed and hidden. I was trying to get shots of Muscle Man by pretending to take photos of Brother Jay. Brother Jay totally played along and went out of his way to get me the best shots.
That's my kind of enabler.
Then there was the gas station/convenience store/beer barn which, according to Mac, took advantage of the fact that state lines bisected the building and the liquor laws were therefore suspect.
They sold beer you could take with you on the boat (the drop-in was behind the building).
On tap.
You order your beer by the gallon and half gallon, and they'll fill milk jugs for you.
"You can get a Sportsman's Brew. It's just like Coors Light but cheaper!"
Tasting like Coors Light was apparently a good thing.
And what is a good gas station/boating beer barn without lots and lots of dead animal heads on the wall.
And please note Grampa Jones there on the right. Seriously—he looked like a time traveler from the prospectin' days.
And lastly (not in the gas station), hand-written directions on the bathroom dryer for those who have so far been unable to crack that technology, or read pictographs.
I do have to write about the best restaurant in the area, its super kind owners and staff, and honestly the best steak I have ever had.
Those are some special people, and their restaurant is a special place, and they deserve their own post.
As does Sparkle Josh who also made an appearance over the weekend.
But for now, there's the take from the lake.
A good time was had by all.

Full flickr set, and the best of.
And for the next six months or so, photos will be up in the Mac Gallery, which is prettier and more fun.
















No comments:
Post a Comment