Friday, April 06, 2012

not a peep out of you

Usually I get really into Easter. Mister loves a theme. I have a wreath for my door and decorations for the apartment, and usually host or attend some sort of dying cocktail party. Nothing this year. It's Good Friday and I have not gotten into any sort of holy spirit. My mood has been maudlin as of late and it will be all I can do to rise again myself.

I did, however, pay enough attention to send Easter treats to my niece and nephews and a centerpiece from The Tulip Tree to my mother who will be hosting all the family but me on Sunday.

Among the treats sent to little Leland (five and a half years old) were Cars and Toy Story sticker sets (he loves those characters), a large paper egg he can decorate with another set of stickers, and a couple of boxes of those little yellow chicks that I have always loved for reasons I cannot articulate.

His mother and father called me iPad to iPad using FaceTime to thank me and watch Leland play excitedly with his Easter treats. Risen Jesus that was cute. We played together for a while and then he asked if the chicks could go in the water. I said he could try it with one, but only one at first in case they did not do well in the water. It wasn't bath time yet so he tried putting one in the sink, and the chick looked like a tiny wet dog that loses 90% of it's volume when wet. It was pretty hilarious.

The chick, however, did not recover from the experience.

This morning his mother sent this pic to my phone:

"We told you you weren't waterproof!"


To me it looks like an intervention. "We are here as your friends. We really need to talk about your eating disorder."

No comments: