During this meeting, I was trying to illuminate a situation (as I am wont to do) by use of a familiar colorful metaphor.
Well, familiar to me.
I forget that by either my exposure to a variety of linguistic turns as an editor and librarian, or just by being such a good old Southern boy, my personal language bank includes phrases I consider stock but others consider foreign. I imagine this one came to me by the Southern route.
I was trying to sum up a situation wherein it was just easier and wiser not to exert what would ultimately be a futile effort—not only a futile effort, but one which would generate frustration or hostility in the opposing character and object of the effort.
"Well, I just didn't get into it because it would be like teaching a pig to sing."
When I saw the blank stares I explained matter-of-fact-ly:
There is an old saying,"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
They loved it. But I feel like such a hick.
But a clever hick.
No comments:
Post a Comment