Steeplechase was wet and cold this year, but as that also meant it was only the die-hard race crowd there, it was an intense amount of fun. Damp yes, dampened spirits, no. Actually, come to think about it, that could have been the title of my column as this year's piece focused on what people were drinking. That also sounds like a good album name, "Cocktails in the Rain: Dampened Spirits."
With the cold and the rain the cicadas were not the problem I anticipated them to be, although their molted shells were still rather omnipresent.
I was excited to see awesome Aussie photog Simon James again, and he tweaked my camera for better photos in the rainlight (I asked Santa for the same point-and-shoot that he uses, which is a bit above my competency), only later to lunch for it as it was being dropped by someone taking my picture and I spilled a greyhound into the open mechanisms. Yipes.
However, I did get several shots which I rather adore and am considering blowing up into poster prints.
. 
. 
. 
. 
My favorite of which is this one, as the people in it are so much fun, and I really like the composition, separation of three, descending sizes, and the horse running by.

Special shouts to Margaret McAllister, Amy Hornsby and Lance Arnold for joining me in my parents' box and being such fun party people whose spirits, in soul or Solo, could not be damped by the weather. Here's the full Flickr set.
I haven't seen the Nfocus spread yet, but I do hope they included these race drink recipes I put together for the piece. Enjoy!


No comments:
Post a Comment