Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Amazing Arcadia

I don't have time for a full review. But Arcadia may my favorite play I've ever seen. And that is saying something. Or at least it is my favorite that I can think of right now. I'm not even a Stoppard fan. I'm actually the opposite really. Yes, for some it may seem like an academic lecture, but I'm an academic, and this was so fully engaged and engaging as to spring life from the stage. I actually got chills at the end of the first act.

The cast and company truly shine in this. If you are a thinking person who likes the theater, this is the play for you. Although it does help to have a familiarity with archival research, literature, and iterative mathematics. But don;t let those words scare you off—it's funny. And tragic. And brilliant.

And I really don't think even the Broadway production could hold a candle to this cast. I truly wish we had been able to make an Out night and chat up the cast.


The reviews are almost as much fun as the show itself.

No comments: