Monday, December 17, 2007

Alert Reader Question: iPhone

Alert Reader Barry Maddux has asked why I'm Just Sayin', enormous Apple nerd that we are, has neither purchased an iPhone, nor asked for one from Santa.

Basically, the iPhone is still in its first iteration, and I'm waiting for the next round before I adopt. We need the iPhone to pass a certain level of features before the cost/benefit, in terms of dollars and bother, tips it over to adoption (even though we are already an AT&T subscriber).

We do text a lot, although hundreds fewer texts than certain Alert Readers (PeeDee), and the iPhone text interface does not lend itself to particularly fast texting or easy one-handed texting. The size, fragility, and general not-easily-one-handed-navigation are also negatives the other features would have to make worthwhile.

For us, the iPhone will be worth the price tag and the cost of changing habits when it has been upgraded to include:
  • 3G network support (instead of AT&T's crappy Edge network)
  • GPS, and
  • Video capture.
We're guessing announcements next summer, and products by next fall. Who knows what January's MacWorld will hold.

No comments: