Monday, November 30, 2009

southern visitation

Nashville November, Part 3

After the EJ lunch, I had carved out time to visit with close friend Carrington and long-time lost friend Dabney. It's hard enough to get Carrington to sit still, but trying to find overlapping open time slots with two working women with three and four kids was daunting. But worth it. Dabney and I were childhood friends who reconnected at the end of high school and after college. Carrington and Dabs were big buds in high school too (we didn't all go to the same school, boys at MBA and girls at Harpeth Hall). I was even in Dabney's wedding to Ian (Scottish, fun, and like 6'6" of Highlander), but hadn't spoken to her since I moved to SF 14 years ago. I've had a post-it note on my computer reading "Dabney" for almost a year as a reminder to get back in touch. And I am so glad I did.

I rushed over to C'ton's after lunch, only to run into brother Mac again who was dropping off a belated gift of a bottle of wine. While at the liquor store, he saw something that made him think of me (you know, because my life with Mac is now basically one big gay joke. But that's okay, because Mac is actually funny.) Seriously? Bubble-gum flavored vodka. The bottle design makes it look like it's target Brand Vodka (especially from the back), and it smells incredibly sweet. We did not try it. But we will. (It's still in Nashville, another casualty of the Bush Administration's War on Moisture.)

Carrington was just back from a speaking engagement before the Centennial Club. Which is kind of a big deal. (She's, like, a grown-up and famous writer and stuff now.) She came back with yet another amusing anecdote, as when she got dressed in her open-toed shoes, she forgot that she had her Halloween color.


Carrington's green toes

Nice.

Unfortunately, I found out during lunch that I had to be dressed and downtown for ArtRageous about an hour and a half earlier than expected, and subsequently had to cut our catch-up time short. Dabney is new to facebook, and loving it, and I expect to interact with her a lot more int he coming months, and see the kids over Christmas!

And yes, if you haven't caught on, we are extremely Southern.

Catch-up cocktails on the veranda with Carrington Nelson Fox, Dabney Ledyard Hopkirk, and MacDonald and Wilson Hardcastle.


Dabney Ledyard Hopkirk and Wilson Hardcastle . Wilson Hardcastle, Carrington Fox, Mac Hardcastle, Dabney Hopkirk

Welcome home indeed.

Nashville November 2009, Parts 1 and 2.

No comments: