As we were finishing our folding, the giant television overhead was playing one of VH1’s “I Love the 70’s” endless repeats. At the break, VH1 ran an ad for another upcoming nostalgia special, this one focusing on child/teen stars of the 70’s and 80’s and their inevitable descent into sex, alcohol, and drugs. The tongue-in-cheek ad ended ran with their usual deep-toned male voice-over, followed by a stock voice indicating the advertiser making it possible. The ending tag joke and the sponsor identification were in complete contrast.
I am sure that the closing tag did not say this exactly, but it certainly sounded along these lines. And with the sponsor identification following immediately on its heels, Shilpa and I, on opposite ends of the crowded Laundromat, burst into violent guffaws. I should say that while we thought this was hilarious, no one else in the room thought it was funny. Another shining example of why we get along so well.
VH1-liner:
“I Love the 70’s, Teen Celebrity Edition…Because child star drug addition is still funny...”
“Brought to you by Pampers.”
No comments:
Post a Comment