And this was one of those rare perfect SF nights when it was actually warm. The crowd took notice of the deep, dark, bank of fog rolling just north of us against the voilet twilight and felt very grateful.
Last week's movie was Caddyshack. Perfect for this crowd. The organizers showed trailers for the two movies vying for the next screening: Grease and Xanadu. The crowd went wild. Of course, it's a win-win for any ONJ fan. In the end, it was clear the ONJ+ELO fans would have their way, as Xanadu was the clear crowd favorite.And this morning, I read this (thanks to Nervous Breakdown).
(Full disclosure: I have the VHS, DVD, and CD Soundtrack to Xanadu. I've been an embarassed fan since I saw it and taped it from the ABC Sunday Night Movie in 1981. Every time I watch it I cringe at how bad it is, and I love it even more. Gene Kelly is just amazing, and sad heart-throb-wanna-be Michael Beck has no sense of timing/acting. Poor Gene Kelly to find himself in the middle of this disco/roller-skating opera...)
1 comment:
OK, I'll align myself with your embarassment...
I was entranced with Olivia after Grease, so I made my mom take me to Xanadu-- I remember standing in line for the doors to open, and I remember playing my first video game (Deluxe Space Invaders) while in that line. I soon bought the album on vinyl and remember rollerskating to the songs-- my parents should have figured me out back then, right?
As soon as I could find it, I bought the soundtrack on CD, a few years back. Yes, the movie's horrible, but the soundtrack outshines it. It's still a great album!
Post a Comment