Friday, August 03, 2007

Homodorable II - love happens

Okay, I mentioned earlier the emotionally honest and engrossing sweetness that is Chris' wooing of Nick via YouTube. Their parting with sweet sorrow post this morning prompted a whole host of conflicting thoughts and emotions in me today, and the internal turmoil seemed good material for a blog post on my conflicting thoughts on life and love and being happily single but also longing for love and am I too fully formed to pair up and I'm going to die alone and Dear God in Heaven these boys are so cute and in new love I'm going to need a tissue and what I am I doing with my love life anyway. But I never got around to sorting all that out for a post about me, so I will post about Chris and Nick, through whom I am living and dying vicariously.

The producers of the Today Show/the Daily Show/Leno/the View should be fighting each other to cover this story. And I believe they will. I also believe if this were a straight couple, they already would have.

Chris and Nick spent more time with each other than video blogging their date together, as they should, and posted an update this morning to let us, their fans, know how it went.

Y'all need to start tuning in. And to help you out, here is their timeline in a nutshell:

..........................................

Nikas is a young Swede living outside of Chicago in Iowa. Nick keeps a video journal (vlog) on YouTube. He wanted to try a particular cleansing diet and looked for people's experiences with it online. As a vlogger, he searched YouTube, and found Chris in New York, who also keeps a video diary, and was chronicling the cleansing experience.

Nick subscribed to Chris' channel/video posts.

Nick found Chris to be interesting, articulate, and beautiful to look at (which he is), and spent hours obsessing over watching his vlog entries.

Meanwhile, Chris notices that Nick has subscribed to his channel, and starts watching Nick's vlogs. Chris thinks that Nick is sweet and sexy and crazy hot (which he is) and obsesses over his posts. Chris falls for Nick.

At this point, neither of them know that each is infatuated with the other.

Chris decides he is going to put it out there. On July 3, Chris posts a video to his own channel basically saying, "Nick, if you are watching this, I love you."

Unbeknownst to Chris, Nick has also been paying lots of attention to Chris.

Nick was watching.

Nick posts his thoughts on the love post.

Chris begins a series on his channel called "Boyfriending Nick" in which he makes his case and tries to woo his dreamboat via internet videos.

They post responses to each other's videos. These posts are playful, unabashed, honest. The emotional presence of these guys is amazing.

All of this is playing out to a public internet audience. By July 8, Chris gives a shout out to his 100th subscriber. Comments, warnings, and encouragement flood in from friends and strangers alike. Chris is just so completely adorable and manages to woo most of the internet along with him (except for the haters, whom he manages with his typical positive and exuberant attitude).

After several episodes of "Boyfriending Nick" they chat and talk for many hours.

As is the nature of their relationship, Chris asks Nick for a date by video.

Nick says yes, and buys a ticket to New York.

The people who have become hopelessly engrossed in this are almost as excited as they are about the face-to-face meet, and start sharing the story with their friends. Popular blog Queerty takes note, as does this blog.

Almost overnight, their subscriber numbers and view hits go through the roof (Chris has 252 subsribers, Nick 403).

Nick lands in New York on Monday, July 30.

They meet. They fall in love. They vlog about their first day together.

Thursday, August 2, Nick has to go home. They vlog a bittersweet farewell (below). Chris is clearly head-over-heels in love. Nick needs time to process everything before he can articulate it, but clearly, the feeling is mutual.

Next week: Chris goes to Iowa.


My favorite comment is from nimoss:
chris - you're such a sweet and decent guy. what makes you interesting is how you are 'emotionally present' without being the least bit sentimental. like in the first few seconds of this video you seem to be holding back sadness, but conflicting emotions come through all the same. and the beautiful thing is how nick responds, your soulful quality must be one of the things he loves about you.
Who knew love could happen like this?

And to the skeptics (like a part of me) who claim it will never last, I am reminded of something I heard a long time ago. Whoever said that the greatest loves are the ones that last? If they have found true love, it is beautiful. If they don't work out, their story is no less wonderful.

After all, even the greatest stories have endings.


Update: Nick processes and articulates. Chris' subscribers number has risen to 327 since Friday. And Chris comments to this post.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, I'm not sure either of these guys want that kind of exposure.

Willo said...

That's ridiculous. Have you watched any of their vids? Read their comments?

These guys are actively engaging their fans and the public. It is not as if someone set up a spy cam and is surreptitiously watching them, or is stealing their personal videos and posting them without their knowledge—they themselves are posting and broadcasting their stories.

And have been for some time.

Yes it is deeply personal, but they are putting it out there. I think that amount of public honesty and open emotions is impressive.

And keep in mind, the public's view is entirely under their control. Chris and Nick can stop web casting or posting videos whenever they want, they can delete any old videos at a whim, and they can restrict access to their content whenever they wish.

I wish them nothing but love and luck. And they seem to want more exposure, and I am happy to offer what I can in appreciation for their work.

Anonymous said...

WOW, of all the other links and write-ups surfacing online about Nick & I, this one is definately the most in-depth. I think you have a firm view on what is most important, and it's what I like most about the comment you made: what the public has to see and speculate over is only what we've chosen to share. There's LOTS more to "Chris & Nick" than what these videos convey.

As the relationship between Nick and myself may grow and develop, we may in fact become more selective about what we share... but in the meantime thanks for your best wishes, I totally saw this post of yours as supportive and in the "Go get em, tiger!" vein.

Anonymous said...

THanks for the heads up on this Will. I have been following it religously since you first posted it. It is beautiful to watch... They both seem great.

Willo said...

Hey kids-- I'm back to the blog and am flattered to get e-mail from LittleBigChris himself. I dashed off this synopsis after work and before meeting FunScott Friday evening and it seems I rushed through it a bit. I've updated the post with a few more links I didn't get to on Friday, and I fixed a couple of the typos.

I have been telling this story to some friends and thought putting this linked timeline online would make the sequence of events/videos easier to follow.

And yes, "Go get 'em Tiger!"