Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Think but this and all is mended.

The same folks who brought us the Lupercalia hosted A Midsummer Night's Dream-inspired party this past Saturday night.

These parties are over the top, off the hook, and beyond expectation. And the guests know to bring it.

The rules of attire for this party evolved over several months. Originally, you had to come as a character from A Midsummer Night's Dream, preferably one of the woodland fairies. However, with so many participants and so few characters, it was quickly expanded to any woodland mystical creature or character. Then and Shakespearean character or period dress, any woodland creature—fantastic or otherwise, or any embodiment of "love." Participants must remain in half-mask and in character, revealing only their character's name, until midnight.

I had been shopping and designing for months so I was sticking (no pun intended) with my wood nymph theme.

I received and invitation to the Lupercalia via Jimbo's friend Michael Smith. I ran into Michael while we were both shopping for costume materials and he and I were working from the same theme and palette.

He went as a Wood Nympho, whereas I decided I was a Morning Wood Nymph.

Michael and Wilson as Wood Nympho and Morning Wood.

(Note the condoms in the headdress.)

While my costume wasn't too terribly slimming, I do think my "mask" was flawless.

Kevin, always one for a costume or a theme, would not reveal his costume to me until the last minute. He was afraid he might have crossed a line into fetish wear, but I assured him if any party would welcome it, it would be this one.

Kevin went, I still can't believe it, as Huggies and Kisses.

Yes, that is a diaper.

Jimbo decided his character would be Pea's Blossom. However, he got confused and thought it was "Peace" Blossom, and went as a tie-dyed hippie adorned with flowers. I thought that worked too.

Those that look good nearly naked were assuredly going so. And those of us that do not would not. I thought opting for the clever was better. Those that would get the costume would appreciate it. Those that wouldn't get it wouldn't matter anyway because if you weren't half naked too, they likely wouldn't be paying you much mind.

Jimbo as "Peace Blossom"

Kevin and Jimbo came over to get ready at my house before taking a cab up the hill.

So let's take a moment for that image shall we: Kevin in his...getup, Jimbo in his vines, and me in sarong, cape, and facepaint, loitering on the corner trying to get a cab.

And at just that moment, some event was letting out from the stadium across the street, so we were being passed by and competing for cabs with all sorts of families and small children.

Which, for them, I imagine was a fairly routine Saturday in San Francisco. I'm glad I am Haight-adjacent.

The party did not disappoint. And as expected, the guests stepped up for the event.



The entire atmosphere was, literally, fantastic:

The music was awesome. I loved the DJs, who played some really amazing mashups.


The next morning I could not bring myself to get out of bed for the thought of cleaning the complete and total wreck that was my apartment—covered in much makeup, tissues, wire, branches, leaves, and variety of flora.

And my God the glitter.

The Flickr photoset should perhaps come with a viewer discretion advisory:
If we shadows have offended, think but this, and all is mended. That you have but slumbered here, while these visions did appear, and this weak and idle theme, no more yielding but a dream. Gentles, do not reprehend. If you pardon, we will mend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The party indeed looks like a blast-- glad I could help you with the costume naming! ;)

Anonymous said...

Wilson - All I can say is you and your friends are so interesting, I have to check your blog weekly.

Iggnut - but love it