Thursday, March 07, 2013

space: the urban frontier

When I first moved to SF and worked in the Financial District, I sued to wonder what the mini-corporate parks were, and could see tree-lined patios many floors up and wondered how to get there.  I quickly learned from friends (the Web wasn't all that then) that there were "private public" spaces.  Businesses got a break from the City if they devoted some of the space to be open to the public as courtyards or outdoor spots—even many stories up.

Not spending much time downtown anymore I forgot this particular treasure of San Francisco.  I had some friends visiting from out of town and another local recommended they check some out while downtown if they wanted a break.  The SPUR web site ("Through research, education and advocacy, SPUR promotes good planning and good government in the San Francisco Bay Area.") features are pretty awesome report on the City's POPOS — privately owned public open spaces. Also awesome is their PDF map. Awesomer: there's an app!

See also: StreetsBlog.

No comments: