
Last day of the visiting Royal Treasures from the Louvre exhibit. Two pieces struck me in particular. First, an apparently unremarkable platter on stand made with oval inlays of thinly cut tan hard stone. But if you stand in just the right place behind the display case, and are tall enough, the light catches an etching under one of the panels to reveal a carved angel. And it's only visible from just the right spot with the spotlight behind it. I just noticed it while navigating around other patrons and it was a very cool effect. Artist unknown, but listed as "Tazza, circa 1640, Sardonyx, with mouths attributed to François Robertday. I showed the next guest how to see it, who passed it on to the next person and so on, and so for a while it was the most popular artifact in the room. It really the only thing there that did anything.
And second, there was a small and lovely silver carved coffee grinder (1756-1757) with an ivory handle, created for Madame de Pompadour. Whom I have only known as The Girl in the Fireplace.
Just a lovely afternoon for a tour and a glass at the Legion of Honor.

Sipping in the courtyard, and enjoying the view...

...I coined a new drag name: Tipsy Hedren.
Here I am being attacked by birds:

We amuse ourselves so easily.
Such a beautiful day on the Bay.


Capping off the day: a sunset cocktail at the Cliff House, where the charming and well-traveled bartender introduced us to the blood lime. Yum.


And a tasty bourbon, cocoa, orange bitters beverage.

And look! It's Joseph Radcliff:


Daniel's brother.
No comments:
Post a Comment