Saturday, April 19, 2008

Zephr winds that blow on high

...lift me now so I can fly.

Does anyone else remember Isis from Saturday mornings? A Captain Marvel spinoff? I don't know what I loved more—her mother nature super powers, or those enormous glasses she wore in her meeker identity.

This weekend the Bay Area has been BLUSTERY. Lots and lots o' wind. It's been clear, sunny, cold, and windy, windy, windy. Chicago is looking over here asking WTF?

Saturday morning I stopped in my corner coffee shop, and while waiting for my weekend special (double non-fat vanilla latté), there was a resounding thud on the sidewalk. The wind was so strong blowing down the street that it toppled a fairly sturdy and heavy set of planters on the sidewalk. I thought that wind was pretty impressive.

I took my coffee and ran a few errands, and I returned to my corner only to see one side of the intersection blocked off by police cars. The winds were so strong today that it blew the scaffolding off of a building under renovation.



The fire department was called to assess the situation. While I was watching and taking photos of this event, I noticed an apartment was open for lease across the street. I was curious as to what a one bedroom without parking was going for in my neighborhood and thought that as long as I was there I'd check it out. The rental agent was closing a deal in the kitchen and completely ignored me, which was fine as it gave me an opportunity to get this perspective on the wreckage.

The plywood which the renovators had used to cover the upper windows was flapping in the wind and was in clear danger of blowing off into the street and into traffic and/or pedestrians. The SFFD called in a ladder truck to secure the upper panels.




Video from the day.



And wouldn't you know it, only one hot fireman in the bunch (never got a clear shot). Not counting the little cutie fireman who looked like he started shaving for the first time earlier in the week.



Flickr set

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so what about the apartment? ;) did you like it?

Willo said...

it was small, four flights up with no elevator, had plastic fake "hardwood floors," and a good sixty layers of paint on everything.

And the hallway/stairway was pretty nasty.

And still I think it was going for $2k a month. With no parking. The view was nice...