Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Jan Time!

Jan was back in town for the day, shepherding 88 students through SF on their way back from spring beak in Tahoe returning to Glasgow.

Jan Fulton Murray and Wilson Hardcastle at Fisherman's Wharf

I was able to pop out during their "free time" before they had dinner at Bubba Gump's on Pier 39 and get an hour of her to myself for hugs and catch up and a pint.

Jan and Wilson enjoy at pint at Red Jack Saloon

It was sunny and warm and not at all like San Francisco in April. Kids were even swimming in the hotel pool down at Fisherman's Wharf.

Here's the freaky thing. While I was waiting in the lobby for Jan to come down, I was killing time and checking my e-mail yet again. I had talked to Jan on the house phone and she was on her way down. A new message popped up while I was leaning against a pillar watching the elevators for her to appear:
Greetings-

You have no idea who I am, but I am searching for a long-lost friend of mine, Ms. Jan Fulton of Glasgow, Scotland.
I was looking though the web and came across several images of the lass linked to your blog.
She and I were very good friends about 3,000 years ago while we were camp counselor at Camp Aloha in Fairlee VT.

If you could do me a huge favor and pass my info along to Jan (assuming you are still in contact with her) I would be much obliged.

Life's too short to lose track.

Many thanks for your help.

And if you think I'm a total nut job and you don't want to help, I understand.

cheers.

hm

It took a moment for that to sink in. My first thought was, "How did she know I was here? Can she see me?" Like when you text someone you see across the street. So freaky.

I messaged back, "Actually, I'm in the lobby of her hotel in SF waiting for her to come down. I'll pass your message along."

The world is smaller than we think. Mobile uploads and texts quickly followed.

After dinner, Jan and I met for drinks at the nearby (and historically famous) Buena Vista Café...

Wilson Hardcastle and Jan Fulton Murray

...where she introduced me to friends of hers from Glasgow who are living in SF for six months.

Alison, Jan and Susan

LOVE these lasses. Total PLU. And I will have fun playing host the rest of the summer. Shouts OUT to Ali and Susan!

And while sweet Paula could not make it this trip, she did send her love. And that love came in the form of a sketch she drew of my apartment in SF. Just lovely!

Wilson with brilliant sketch from Paula

And Jan gets due appreciation for the framing. Hugs all around!

No comments: