I am trapped in a courtroom waiting to hear if I will be required to serve on the jury for murder trail. It is expected to run through June 22. I think. I may have misheard. At first I heard July 22, because that is my Dad's 70th birthday and I will be back in Nashville for that. I don't mind serving on a jury as much, it's just that I will be home with the family Thursday-Monday the second weekend in June, the third weekend in July, and in August or September I plan to have the follow up surgery to alleviate my apnea. There is rarely a good time for jury duty, but this summer particularly sucks if I am required to be at the south of Market courthouse for any extended engagement. The last time I was called for jury service was the week of my last surgery, and I was excused. I don't know what they will do with me today. I am particularly annoyed by the tone of the judge, who started out thanking all of us for showing up and stressing the importance, honor, and duty of jury service. Those platitudes were quickly supplanted by impatience and condescension with her instructions as to what and what she will not consider a hardship.
I've filled out my hardship form and am waiting with the 200 other folks to see if I will be excused. (My hardship is that I will be in Nashville in June and July.)
All morning I have been thinking about that Simpson's episode when the Mensa people took over running the town. Comic Book Guy created new juror summons to get people excited about serving. Instead of a jury summons, citizens of Springfield received a comic-styled sheet announcing that they had been invited/inducted into The Justice Squadron!
Moe seemed impressed.
Gotta stop now. Back later. (post backdated)
No comments:
Post a Comment