Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Amazon finds Delicious unsavory

I love my Delicious Library, and made little happy noises when the update came with an iPhone mobile app.

Amazon, however, has decided to stop serving product data to advertisers or allow third-parties to re-post or redirect product info—and killed Delicious' mobile app. (Delicious has always had links to buy or sell items in your library at Amazon.)

As Gizmodo says, it's a weird move. They speculate that this is somehow related to the idea that Amazon will try to push Kindle to other mobile platforms.

I'm glad I got the mobile app when I did. I hope it still works. The Monster/Delicious Library products are still highly recommended.

Update: The Unofficial Apple Weblog is on it too:
Earlier today, Head Monster Wil Shipley announced that the iPhone app is on indefinite suspension and is no longer for sale; this is the consequence of a particular clause in the Amazon API terms and conditions. Part 4(e) of Amazon's agreement, which Shipley is a party to due to the desktop DL app's reliance on Amazon for book and DVD data, reads as follows:
(e) You will not, without our express prior written approval requested via this link , use any Product Advertising Content on or in connection with any site or application designed or intended for use with a mobile phone or other handheld device.
Amazon gave D-M an ultimatum: pull the iPhone app, or lose the API access for the desktop version of Library. Despite Shipley's requests for a mobile device exception, the big A did not relent. It's not 100% clear why Amazon chose to enforce this clause now, nor why the company is not providing exceptions to developers. We have an email in to their press office to inquire.

No comments: