Thursday, July 16, 2009

Phase III: binge

The Shilpa and I are on Phase One again of the South Beach Diet. By August, she's got to be all skinny bridesmaidy and I'm going to the beach with the family. It's only Day Four, but we successfully avoided both bad carbs and alcohol at Brain Farts last night—a feat in itself and may explain our poor placing in the finals. (Although it was funny when Poolo asked who was who and we realized that I was the only 'mo on our team for Brain Farts Trivia.)

But back to the cravings. I have never wanted booze or bad-for-me-food as much as when I know I can't have it. I wouldn't want it otherwise (which is such a guy thing to do and explains my lovelife from both sides of those relationships).

However, once we're all thinner and hot and done with our appearances, we are totally hitting Gussie's Chicken and Waffles—opening Monday.

The Shilpa and I have out waffle quests from time to time, and this place looks to be just sick with goodness.

From Thrillist:
Gussie's slings several types of homemade waffles -- buckwheat, banana pecan, sweet potato, and buttermilk -- the latter two of which're served w/ up to half a succulent n' crispy fried chicken and smothered in gravy and onions (optional), while the former go better w/ fresh fruit and maple syrup, according to the menu/your cardiologist. Fried bird also comes flanked by any number of savory sides, e.g., black-eyed peas, candied yams, collard greens, grits, etc, while big ol' specialty sandos include Louisiana fried catfish or red snapper on a fresh roll w/ veggies and house-made tartar, which ten out of ten dentists are reluctant to admit they're totally down with!
Grub Girl also raves.

A reason to eagerly await September....

No comments: