Today Vermont becomes the first state to formally legalize same-gender marriage through the legislative process! (Although some have argued that on state and federal levels, it has always been legal, just denied, until it was made illegal.)And for some reason, the fact that the legislature overrode a bigoted gubernatorial veto makes this victory even more sweet. Perhaps because it was hard fought and hard won? I believe I should have been happier if it passed without resistance.
I think the veto override makes me happy because I was so disappointed that California did not become the first state to affirm its dedication to equal rights for all citizen through legislative action because our muscle-bound governor is a coward and twice, twice! vetoed equality legislation put forth by the California legislature.
And the Vermont legislature was able to override the veto.
Honestly—to those who would deny me equal rights under the law, when you pledge liberty and justice for all, do you really mean it? If not, do not declare yourself an American nor a patriot. We are the land of the free and the home of the brave. Those who would deny the former are are not the latter.
All love to the Iowa courts and the supportive legislature. But today, Vermont is the land of the free and the home of the brave.
Vermont is the fourth state to permit same-gender marriage, after Massachusetts, Connecticut and Iowa. New York, which recognizes out-of-state same-gender marriage, is expected to follow suit in the next year or so. And the evil Prop 8 in California will be either overturned by the Court in June, or by the people in 2010.
In a relatively short time, that will bring the state number to six, which didn't sound like much, until I thought of it as more than 10% of the states. We're well on the way to fight the federal fight for equality.
No comments:
Post a Comment