One of the groomsmen of the other wedding party owned a strip club, and had brought over some of his girls to dance, strip and do... other things... for his boys. We were invited to enjoy ourselves as well.
Scoop calls this "the black cootchie story."
Now, I had finally come out at this point but was still generally the only gay guy among my friends and at any given party. I thought coming out would have put an end to awkward lap dances, but not so much. And being in rural South Carolina in a room full of big macho black dudes I didn't know was not going to be my next debut. Polite declinations of lap dances and other offers only looked like shyness, which of course encouraged the enthusiasm of those offering me said services.
Ultimately I said thank you and took a seat in one of the cushioned arm chairs as a buxom black woman in knee-high white go-go boots and nothing else rhythmically sashayed her unveiled Petula mere inches from my face. First of all, I thought it was rude of me not to be visibly aroused when she would check my state with her eyes and her hands, but there was really nothing I could do about that. Second, I had zero confidence in my ability to feign interest with the rest of my body—especially my face, as my reaction to her kootchie close-up must have been something like Indiana Jones trying not to look into the Arc of the Covenant lest his soul be consumed by demons.
Sure, I love me a motorboat as much as the next guy, but I knew I was not reacting as a typical red-blooded American male would in this situation.
In my desperation, I had to take the stripper into my confidence and come out quietly in her ear as she offered me her amples. I had completely forgotten this part of the story until Scoop reminded me this morning. Scoop has the dialog down:
You: Um...I'm gay.She was really sweet truthfully, and told me she understood and had a gay cousin and said she'd keep my cover. Although she made a scene and finished the dance as if I were The Man, I think the other guys may have caught on when I spent most of my time later looking her in the eyes and talking to her as if she were a person.
Her: No you're not.
You: Actually, yes, I am.
Her: Prove it.
You: Okay (with a flourish of the hand) I love those boots.
Her: Oh my god! You are gay!
Love love love to Scoop and his bride Meg. Thanks for the Mammaries.
3 comments:
Love this story, but Francis insists that he did NOT get a lap dance. Interesting.... you should have followed him around and perhaps you would have been able to avoid this too. :)
Oh I am sure Francis did not get a lap dance. He would never.
Wait, isn't that how you two met?
Actually, Francis was/is usually the most responsible among us.
I LOVE your writing and all the blog entries.
I had a similar story when I worked at a NY design house that put together men's and women's adult magazines. I remember one day the art director of the magazine Over Forty came up to me to show me a spread of a woman wearing nothing but some heels and a smile. When she asked me what I thought about the image all I could muster to say was, "Nice shoes."
Love you Wilson!
Post a Comment