Wednesday, March 17, 2010

bad month for book learnin'

I waited a while before commenting to allow myself to calm down a bit, but I still seethe whenever I consider the insidious actions of the Texas School Board. If they can't keep the state from forcing book learnin' on its children, they are going to make sure these books don't include actual history or any ideas counter to their own ignorance and conservative dogma. I have no patience for anyone's argument when their go-to comparison is the Nazis/Hitler; however, those of use who have read non-redacted history books are seeing some frightening similarities to policies of The Party in Germany circa 1938. If these "school" board members have proven anything, it is that the Christian Right is neither.

And that they use the word "education" ironically.

The handsome and talented Gate columnist Mark Morford rants pretty nicely on this.

Hot on the heels of the news that Texas will be providing only Books of Lies (I'm including lies of omission) to its students, comes word that Charlotte-Mecklenburg County (North Carolina) will be closing half of its branch libraries.

Because what rural NC really needs to help itself rise up is fewer books and less opportunity for community education and support.

No comments: