Thursday, November 18, 2010

Out with ACT: Marcus

Out with ACT: Marcus - 12How sweet it is: Marcus, or the Secret of Sweet is playing at ACT and is an absolutely amazing performance not to be missed. Even the Chronicle has the man jumping out of his chair. It is a wonderfully contemporary comedy/drama set in the days just before Katrina hits and focuses on a young man trying to understand who he is as well as who is father was. The writign is keen and cutting and while sometimes tearful is more often laugh out loud. ACT is really hitting their shows out of the park this year (maybe they're working with the Giants), and I can't help but think it is in no small part to their new and clearly talented Executive Director Ellen Richard.

The performances in this run are also outstanding. Many of the young actors are graduates of the ACT MFA program and their talent in this production has bumped up my already considerable estimation of their program several notches. (Also of note, Curt's new gay friend Blaine on Glee is played by an Young Conservative graduate.)

Marcus is the final play of a Brothers/Sisters trilogy, the first two plays having been performed over the year at other Bay Area theaters. Marcus stands well alone and the actors likely apart for their superb performances here. While the young actors shine playing even younger roles with quick barbs, physical dexterity and precision timing, experienced actors Gregory Wallace and Margo Hall bring their confidence and talents to their roles. Margo Hall in particular is a treat to watch perform as she plays all three separate and opposing matriarchs. I did get a chance to ask if she had three separate prosthetic posteriors for each character.

If you have the chance to see this show, go. And ACT now allows you to take a cocktail into the theater, which does sort of loosen your laughter in this at times serious show.  This being an Out With ACT night, fellow subscribers and the cast partying together downstairs after the performance, and Kevin and I truly enjoyed chatting up the cast. As we do.

Jon Joseph Gentry, Kevin Koberle and Margo Hall Wilson Hardcastle and Margo Hall

Out with ACT: Marcus - 07 A few cast members of ACT's Marcus

Marvelous actors all, and delightful people too. Fellow patrons included the always lovely and always lovable Brian Cassidy and Jeff Meador, Rob Forni and his partner David, and newcomers Matt Sudbury and his friend Darrin.

Brian Cassidy and Jeff Meador Darrin Martin and Matt Sudbury


Randy Taradash continues to be a superb host and in-house cheerleader for ACT and produced a lively and entertaining reception. (Also shout out to adorable BF Demetrio.) The thematically appropriate catering from Biscuits and Blues was—okay, I'm running out of synonyms for "amazing"—but the fried chicken met that magical balance between moist and too juicy inside and crispy yet not overly battered outside. As a True Southerner: hammina hammina. Other guttural sounds of appreciation go for the biscuits. I had always thought of Biscuits and Blues as a tourist spot and never bothered to visit. I'm going to have to renew my gym membership to to allow for frequent visits in the future.

Guttural sounds of a completely different origin go to support Out with ACTs other new sponsor: Absolut Vodka. As "ACT's Favorite Gays," Randy asked Kevin and I to pose with the new signage in appreciation for the sponsorship. I suppose I really am a poster boy, I just never know which posters.
With thanks to the new sponsor Absolut!


Marcus runs at ACT through November 21.

No comments: