Wednesday, November 24, 2010

thankful

So Mom called, and Dad fell last night/early this morning. He fell in the night in the bathroom, landing on his knee on the cold, hard tile. Mom wrapped it up and waited until dawn before calling the doctor next door for advice. By then it was terribly swollen, and after much deliberation and logistical maneuvering, eventually the fire department had to come negotiate him out of the house and to the hospital.

Mac and Wilson Hardcastle with Papa JohnNothing is broken, and for that I am thankful today, and tomorrow. He is banged up terribly badly though, and will be in the hospital for a while, followed by a stay in the physical rehab facility. Mom is going ahead and hosting thanksgiving for the extended family as planned, as that's what she does. She manages all. Reigning Queen, with no thought of abdication. She's got skills that one; hold the world together as far as I can see. Anyway, she has lots of help hosting dinner, hired and otherwise. And as Dad is off the mind-enhancing meds, I don't think he's clued into that he's missing anything, so there is that to be thankful for too I suppose.

Any way, love to you all, and to all of your loved ones. Hold them close. Keep them from falling if you can. And tell them how thankful you are to have them. I am thankful that we say this lovey-dovey stuff to each other all the time. And mean it with each utterance. Thanks be. Peace out.

No comments: