Kevin and I have enjoyed being (Out with) ACT subscribers for several years now. It used to be for the theatrical and homo fun time, but with both of our schedules theses days we have appreciated the season tickets more for forcing quality time together onto our calendars.Kevin is a subscriber to another house with his/our friend Kelly. Kelly couldn't make it last week so I was his plus-one to the SF Playhouse's preview of Den of Thieves.
I am going to have to become a subscriber to the SF Playhouse too. I hate to say this, but it sort of blows ACT out of the water. I've been reporting over and over that ACT shows tend to be hit or miss—if is a traveling show or something being worked for off/Broadway, it's amazing. If the fare is up to the house artistic director, it's painful, bordering on God awful. Terrible. Wretched. Punishment. What have I, what have I, what have I done to deserve this.
The SF Playhouse is a MUCH smaller house and is basically community theater. Kevin has taken acting lessons here before and I saw recital or two in the lower theater. This theater space is tiny, not black box tiny but small for a full theatrical production. The effect is not cramped or unprofessional, rather intensely intimate with the actors and the action. And the acting quality I witnessed at the Den of Thieves preview was superb. It was still in previews and there were a few slow fits and comedic timing issues that could use some improvement, but overall the acting was stellar, the story engaging, and the sets and blocking impressive for such a small stage. Also of note is that the roles are expertly cast, with each actor fulfilling both the character and the physicality of their roles.
The Den of Thieves plays at the SF Playhouse though April 17 and is highly recommended for a dramatic yet cost-effective night out on the town. The SF Playhouse is on Mason street just above Union Square, between Sutter and Post. Nighttime parking is cheap at the Sutter/Stockton garage a block away, and it's an easy walk uphill from the Powell Street Station. The Playhouse sells sodas, snacks, beer and wine, which can be taken to your seat to be consumed, quietly of course, during the performance.
1 comment:
PSB shout out!
Sweet!
Post a Comment