Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Olly olly oxen free!

Come out, come out, wherever you are!

It's October 11: National Coming Out Day.

Human Rights Campaign - National Coming Out Project

About dot com:National Coming Out Day
Wikipedia: National Coming Out Day

Check here for an update later about one of my favorite coming out stories.

Hint: It did not involve a cotillion.

Although that would have been something.





As memory serves from Designing Women, early 1990s:

Suzanne: I can't believe you just met the woman and already you're bad-mouthing her.
Julia: I don't think it's bad-mouthing someone to call her a lesbian when she just sat here and told us.
Suzanne: When? When did she tell us?
Mary Jo: Well, most heterosexuals do not refer to their partners as "lover." And everybody knows that the Pink Giraffe is a lesbian bar and restaurant.
Charlene: I didn't...not until Bill and I went there one Sunday for brunch.
Mary Jo: And besides, she told us that she just came out.
Suzanne: So what if she's the world's oldest living debutante?
Julia: Suzanne, when she said "coming out," she did not mean: "at a cotillion." She meant: "from the closet."
Charlene: You know Bill and I had pretty good eggs Benedict at the Pink Giraffe.
Mary Jo: What did you think she meant when she said "Sappho"?!
Suzanne: I don't know! I thought it was a detergent!
Julia: Well it's not.
Suzanne: So who is she? Somebody's maid?
Julia: Sappho was a famous Greek poet, and also a famous Greek Lesbian.
Suzanne: Well, I'm sorry! I'm not up on homosexual history and the latest lesbian lingo!
Mary Jo: Lighten up, Suzanne. It's the nineties.
Suzanne: Yeah, well, it's not the gay nineties.

No comments: