Friday, October 06, 2006

Rest period over

At the pool where I swam during my youthful southern summers, the ten minutes before each hour the lifeguards would screech their whistles and call for "Rest Period!" and all the kids would have to get out and would wait anxiously until the ten minutes were up and they would reclaim the water from the mothers and senior members who took the opportunity to cool off or swim a few laps in child-free tranquility.


Much later in life I learned that other pools would refer to this period as "Adult Swim." But I can still remember the eagerness with which we awaited the second whistle and the shouts of the life guards: "Rest Period Over!"

Last Friday night I enjoyed a private version of Midnight Mass meets MST3K with a DLP screening of Kinky Boots at Club Jackson. Ironically, all the boys (including me) showed up in comfy pajama-like casual clothes for curling up on the couches, and the straight couple in residence were decked out in, of course, kinky boots. The universe must have felt a shudder that at a party with me, RMJ, and Kevin, not one of us thought to arrive in thematic attire.

I'll wait while you clutch your pearls.

Saturday night, less than a week ago yet seeming so far away, was the first free evening I had had in, what, 36 days. After a domestically productive and also sinfully leisurely day, I had nothing going on for that night. For a moment I thought it was kind of loser to be a single guy in the City and home on a Saturday night, but that moment was fleeting before my shoulders relaxed and I thought, "Thank God. I'm exhausted." Every night had been booked for over a month and it was sooooo nice to be able to sit alone, cook a little dinner, pop popcorn, pour a beer, and curl up in the dark with a movie by myself. It felt sinfully selfish and I loved every moment of it.

By the way, if you haven't seen it, I strongly suggest adding Kiss Kiss Bang Bang to your Netflix queue. I am not a fan of Robert Downey, Jr., and still loved this movie.

However, with the Castro Street Fair pre-parties, fair, and all day dancing on Sunday, the respite was short lived.

The social San Franciscan's October is as busy as its September. This weekend alone features three days of the amazing Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival (profiled on NPR's Morning Edition this morning), Fleet Week, the Blue Angels and the Red Bull Air Race events, three birthday parties, and two housewarming parties. And who can make time for the band, theater, and movie invitations?

Clearly, rest period over.

No comments: