Monday, October 30, 2006

Early Costume Review

Hey kids--

Saturday night in the Castro was super, super tame. It was exceptionally low key this year, but the few who came out, came out in costume. The "no drinking rule" was strictly enforced, and we were pounced upon immediately after buying a beer from the deli and asked to throw them away or submit to be arrested.

Here are snapshots sent to me by Nashville Keith. The party he attended was themed "American Icons," to be widely interpreted. I thought his King King/Empire State Building was inspired.


And you can see the Bob Ross just to the right-- also hilarious.


Keith also sent a shot of his favorite thematic costume of the night:


I had planned to be a Victorian Villain, following this sort of archetype:


I even constructed a section of railroad track to which to tie a Victorian damsel in distress:


I was corrected by a drunk guy getting a slice, although not as articulately, that Snidely would tie the woman perpendicular to the direction of train travel. I had considered that, but this way just looks better visually as a prop--and perhaps it is more dastardly as she'll have to suffer a while before she expires.

What do you want? I'm a villain here.

Unexpectedly, the comically exaggerated hat made the costume.


While making our way back up Castro Street, I heard someone repeatedly call my name. I had noticed the fabulously detailed drag costumes, but would not have recognized my friends in a million years. Jeorge called out to me, and I only recognized the others by their voices. It was a good five minutes before I realized Sean Ray was under the devilish makeup.

Ask not for whom the Belles toll; they toll for thee:



Catholic School Girl/Southern Belle, Taco Belle, Hell's Belle, Alexander Graham Belle, and Liberty Belle.

My favorite of course, and they all featured exquisite detail, was Ron as the Taco Belle:


If you look closely in the above photos, you can see the little chihuahua biting onto her hip.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo quiero taco bell!

Vance said...

Love the belles. Taco really nailed it. Your hat rules.