Wednesday, July 23, 2008

if you work in downtown SF today

take a look out the window.

It's the annual parade of tall masted ships on the Bay and under the Golden Gate and Bay bridges: aka The Festival of Sail. Think "swashbuckling."

I used to watch this when I worked in Embarcadero Center 4, on the 36th floor with a towering and unobstructed view of the Bay and points east and south. It was a sight to see.

For those on the ground, you can tour many of these ships for around $10, as long as they stay docked. Sailing cruises cost more.

It makes me wish I had little to do and an office downtown again. I think getting a bite from the Pier 1 Deli and lunching on a pier sounds like a great idea today. And the weather is pretty perfect for it.

Pictured: The HMS Bounty, built in 1960 for the film of the famous novel. The Bounty has an interesting history (even if recent) and has had starring roles in Pirates of the Caribbean and, of course, Sponge Bob Square Pants, The Movie.

Check out the other participating ships here.

And if you have the time, check out the event schedule, which is summed up rather nicely by the SF Gate: After the Parade of Sail, the ships will tie up at three "villages" - one at Hyde Street Pier, one near the Ferry Building and one near Piers 30 and 32. There will be private parties, public tours, excursion rides, mock sea battles, black-tie dinners with ships' captains and classes for would-be pirates.

Fun for the whole family.

1 comment:

Willo said...

And I managed to get through an entire post on ships and sailors without a single semen pun.