Tuesday, July 29, 2008

San Francisco Values

I'm getting into a lather so I'll try not to harp. I keep getting incensed when the political right tries to scare Americans and smear good ideas like defending the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness by calling them "San Francisco values." Elaine Donnelly, the rep sent from the Center for Military Readiness to the Hill to explain why gays are bad for the military, but the mentally ill, criminal, old, stupid, and frail are good (The military has lowered its standards for all of those categories to dangerous levels-but gay is still not allowed.) started floundering under pressure from congressional interviewers and grabbed for the catch all fear-mongering line "the ACLU and the left, the San Francisco left...""

I can't find the video clip I watched last night, but John Stewart had an excellent recap on his show later:



I've said it before and I'll say it again. San Franciscan values are respect, and liberty and justice for all. America would be a far better place if the Republicans started pushing such values, instead of demonizing them for money and power.

Nanci Pelosi was on The Daily Show last night. And as much as I don't like politicians mostly because they act like politicians, I am proud to be represented by Speaker Pelosi whenever I hear her speak.

And here she does an excellent job of explaining San Francisco Values, and why some use it as a slur. (Video is proprietary to the Huffington Post and cannot be embedded here.)

No comments: