Monday, April 22, 2013

Golden Gate Park: smoked losers and Dutch masters

Difficultly scheduled and much anticipated James time happened Saturday, and it was a gorgeous, warm and clear day in San Francisco. The ruptured plate in my left foot and jankle on the right were acting up, so I considered the 71 instead of walking to the Inner Sunset. The 71 stops right outside my door, and was due in just a couple of minutes so it seemed prudent. While waiting, I clued into the fact that it was April 20. 04/20. 420. Smoke a Bunch of Weed Day. First I noticed the aroma. Then I noticed the seemingly endless stream of young people with coolers, blankets, and a Goodwill wardrobe parading down Frederick Street toward the park.

420 dudes makes way to Golden Gate Park

After the second "arriving" bus never appeared, it occurred to me that being 420, Haight Street was likely a clusterfuck of clusterfucktards, and the 71s must be stuck in that madness. I remembered last year the throngs refusing the get out of the intersection of Haight and Stanyan kept me stuck on the work shuttle for 45 minutes. I started to walk towards the N when the 71 came into view. By the time it got to Frederick, it had nearly emptied, but the pungent haze left by the recently departed was enough to cause a contact high and left a scent on my clothes. Oh San Francisco kids, you slay me. There was a definite slacker/loser vibe to the throngs of thousands who had BARTed/bussed in just to smoke in the park on 4/20. Clearly, I do not think all people who smoke pot are losers. I do think that these kids in their "look at me I'm a rebel" pot themed t-shirts, poor hygiene, and cognitive impairment who think it is cool to leave over five tons of trash in the park for other people to pick up, while getting in playground-level fist fights are in fact, complete and total losers.

James and I met for lunch at Nopalito, which was surprisingly not crowded on this perfect day for dining there. I enjoyed giddy good news times with James, and the ridiculously good crushed shrimp dish. Can't wait to have that again.

The James at Nopalito crushed shimp at Nopalito

We chillaxed after lunch with Special K and I fell into some tech support for her friend Ja-K, and lazied with the cats before we walked over to the De Young for a tour of the visiting Dutch paintings exhibit and The Girl with the Pearl Earring. It was a little tiring examining the intricate etchings in such low light, but the exhibit is well done. I think I need to go back and take the audio tour for more context—I tend to get lost in the mechanics of the craft if I am not lost in the subject matter.

Cat nappy James

I think I should also go on a day when it is not so unseasonably awesome outside. Saturday was just too beautiful to be indoors.

Sunny day at the De Young

Out the east exit of the De Young there is a small sculpture garden/fountain, and the blossoms in the water made me realize that I don't think I have ever seen water lilies actually in bloom before.

Water lilies in bloom - 1

Water lilies in bloom - 2

I get why Monet was all over them.

No comments: