Monday, April 29, 2013

Mister Secretary, '93

I was just overjoyed reading the news yesterday, and openly teared up watching the live stream from the White House:



Anthony Foxx, friend, Davidson classmate, current freaking awesome mayor of Charlotte, North Carolina, has been nominated by President Obama to be the new Secretary of Transportation. Anthony was always impressive—kind, friendly, wicked smart, and effective as our Student Body President. (I only served one term as an independent before I joined Phi Gamma Delta.) Even then, you knew Anthony was going to be one of those people Who Did Great Things.

If he ever considers a presidential run, I'm in.

Also, bring on the high speed rail.

Reading the feeds on my phone during the morning commute, I had to stifle a school cheer. The news of the nomination of Anthony Foxx ('93) to Transportation Secretary was atop posts of Steph Curry's ('10) freakishly awesome performance at last night's Warrior's game. Go Wildcats!

On the downside: Anthony has now completely ruined the curve when it comes to the "So, what are you doing now?" questions and answers during our class reunion this June.


"Hey there! What have you been up to?"
"Oh, I'm closing out my term as Mayor of Charlotte and successfully hosted the Democratic National Convention while growing the city's jobs and economy and fostering public transit initiatives. I was actually just nominated for a cabinet position in the Obama administration as Secretary of Transportation." What have you been up to?"
"Um...I invented Post-Its..."

No comments: