Cheekwood and the Swan Ball will be paying tribute to his legacy in Nashville. Take a quick look at his IMDB credits to see where you have seen his hand over the past 40 years. Credits run from One Day at a Time and The Jeffersons, through his steallar work on Star Trek TNG, Voyager, and Enterprise; up through Gilmore Girls, Private Practice and Bones. I just noticed he also worked on Women's Murder Club, which was a short-lived and terrible LA depiction of SF. My good buddy Helena Lamb was the Assistant Director on that but I enjoyed seeing her credit. I wish I had noticed Jim was working on that too as I would have loved to have gotten them together socially.
I am grateful that he shared his diagnosis and condition with the Swan Ball committee last year. We had fallen out of touch since his "retirement" to Pennsylvania, and I was able to write him a heartfelt letter of affection and appreciation before it was too late. I am very much conscious of not leaving important things unsaid, and I am glad I had the opportunity to put pen and pensive to paper. 57 is far too young to go.
This e-mail came through about an hour ago via Mom from the Swan Ball Office. Jim was the designer of several Swan Ball events, and was the man behind the 50th anniversary ball last year.
Dear All Chairs of the Ball,For my Trek fans out here, here is the Star Trek interview (video) with Jim about designing for Star Trek (unfortunately, I can't embed it), and his entry in the official Star Trek Database.
We have lost a bright spot of brilliance in our Swan Ball Productions. Jim Mees, Emmy Award-winner famous as the set decorator for the "Star Trek" series, and wonderful fellow, has passed away. Jim led the production teams of 12 Swan Balls and lent his creative genius to the process of creating the look and style many of us wanted to achieve. He brought humor and energy to the task. After many Swan Balls, he came to fully appreciate and admire our mission and intention, and he grew to love our beautiful Cheekwood too.
Jim's service information to date is included here with information about flowers and memorials: His service will be at the Salem Lutheran Church in Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania on Monday, April 8 at 11:00 AM. The local florist in Selinsgrove is Rines Florist 800.993.1953. In the event flowers are sent, Jim's wishes are that they be yellow, green and white.
Sassy Carroll is going to the service and has let us know that donations can be made to Cheekwood in his memory.
Jim: A toast to you dear friend! Thank you for bringing your special style, flair, and unparalleled sense of scale to our Balls. You are much missed!
Sincerely,
Cathy Jackson
And the celebratory obituary at Star Trek.com.
Update: This was just posted minutes ago to the Hollywood Reporter. Go read it.
Jim Mees: man of style and grace. Thank you. And cheers to you.
No comments:
Post a Comment